Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Important Note

Icon

This is an interim release and has not gone through a thorough QA process.  However, it will be available for implementers to download and install for testing purposes.  We will provide information about the serious bugs that are in 1.2.

Upcoming Schedule

October -  Megan will talk to implementers about Media Handling and Vocabularies.
Nov 10, 2010 - Scope Review meeting with Team Leads.
Nov 15 - 19 - Design Sprint, it may last a week, it may be shorter
Nov 22 - 23 - Development Sprint for 1 - 2 days, then Thanksgiving in US
Nov 29 - Dec 9 - Development Sprint
Dec 10 - 15 - QA with the goal of releasing 1.2 alpha at the end.

Released: 12/16

Some of the work to be considered in the Services:

 Media Handling

Media Handling
Media Handling Requirements - Release 1.2

User can create a new media record

User can upload an image

User can view uploaded media

Additional information

 Reporting

Main Drivers

  • Start training the resources that have been identified as being able to help the UI.
  • Ensure that Michelle and Yura are free to train these resources.

Dependencies

ImageMagick for Media Handling - Apache 2.0 license

 Image Magick details

The Apache license- You can redistribute modified versions of the software under completely different license terms. The main restriction is that every licensed file must have attributions, copyrights, or other similar notices preserved intact, and changes to any files (whether binaries or not) have to be documented in the modified version.

Jasper for Reporting

 Jasper details

Jasper Reports - It is distributed under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License version 3 (LGPLv3).

iReports - GNU General Public License Version 3 (GPLv3) - will not be distributed with CollectionSpace

The rights granted under the GPL are at their core quite simple. You can use the software as-is for any purpose, without paying anything. But if you modify the source code and publicly release a version based on those modifications — that is, if you create a derivative product for public use — you must also release the changed source code under a matching license. Any programs you create from GPL-ed source must also be released as GPL. (This restriction doesn’t apply to programs written in a GPL development environment; those can be licensed any way you see fit.)

Version 3, or GPL v3, adds (among other things) a provision involving software as a service: you can’t take a GPLv3 product, modify it, and then only release it in the form of a web service without also releasing your changes in source code form.

BIRT for Reporting - Eclipse Public License - won't be included for this release

Scope Review Outcomes

 Scope Review Outcomes

The Design Sprint will discuss and include the following activities

  • Media Handling - This requires an All Layer Design Discussion even though the work to be done during the development sprint will only occur in Services.  Richard would work on this.
  • Reporting - This also requires an All Layer Design Discussion to make sure that what Patrick has created and could then finish fits into a longer term reporting tragectory that makes sense.
  • Object Exit - Laramie will work on this and will also need to create documentation on How to Create a Procedure, and will need to participate in UI Boot Camp.  He will get support from Rick and Aron on this.
  • UI Boot Camp - This group of people (Chris, Jesse, Kasper) will work on R&P UI Jiras.  They will need to attend a meeting with Michelle and Yura.
  • More Repeatability - Aron and Rick will continue to work on this.
  • Continued work on R&P in the UI - Antranig and Yura, when not reviewing patches, will continue their work on this.

Anyone outside the team working on the UI, that is working on something other than Repeatability, should submit patches to Michelle and Yura.  They should not commit UI code directly even if they have commit access for their layer.

Bug List - All team members get 5 votes on JIRAs, and we'll identify a list of high priority bugs.  Penelope will research this with Jesse

Media Handling Discussion - Monday 11-1, 2-4, 7-9

All other discussions will be scheduled via email
Chat window discussion from this Scope Review meeting

Outcomes of Media Handling Discussion

 Media Handling Outcomes

UI needs to allow user to link or upload
Derivative generation is asynchronous - we need to determine name of derivative file.

Uploading media

When is the media record created in relation to the upload of the media?
1) Upload media
2) Record created references ID of media item
3) if this process is canceled, the items are deleted

Each photo (for example) is its own media record, even if there are several photos of one object.

A model similar to Open Collection sounds good. Images are uploaded to a holding pen. Thumbnails are created in the holding pen. Services will need to create a mini record for the media prior to the 'media record' being created.

Thumb nail and media have same relative path.

The differences between most record types and media records. Media records have the following attributes:

  • public/private
  • primary

A large media upload, then generate the thumbnails, this will impact the application's performance. More memory tends to help this situation.

Linking to media

The meta data of the media record is uploaded with a link in it. 

What does the workflow for 'batch' processing of URLs look like?

Outcomes of Reporting Discussion

 Reporting Outcomes

Patrick had the 3rd party tool Jasper working towards the end of the summer. He believes it is possible to switch between different outputs (PDF, csv, tab delimited, etc), but needs to check that. Patrick believes that these reports can be run across multiple records at a time.

The work flow for a CollectionSpace system administrator in CS 1.2 would be:

  • the sys admin has canned reports that the CollectionSpace team has created for them, or can create their own report
  • the sys adminhas a config file that they can add reports to with the parameters which is referenced when a report is invoked.
  • when a report is run, the resulting output is put into a designated folder that users of CollectionSpace would then access to get their reports.

What is in scope for 1.x:

  • invoking reports from the UI - produce a report on the object or record I'm currently in

What would happen after 2.0:

  • UI for a user to create their own reports
  • Will need to resolve field naming issues so that the fields the user can pick from to create the report look familiar to them (not like the back end names)

We will need to develop good test data for QAing this functionality.

Notes and recording of Reporting Discussion meeting: Reporting - November 18, 2010

Notes from Stand Up 11/30

 Notes
  • It's possible that many of the UI Roles and Permissions JIRAs will be completed by 12/7, and so it looks as though we will be able to turn on enforcement of Roles and Permissions in 1.2. We would probably complete QA of R&P in a day.
  • Richard created a document of payloads and REST calls for Media Handling. He will identify what will be included in 1.2 and what will be coming at some point in the future.
  • Kasper and Patrick need to discuss how to QA reporting
  • Patrick and Megan need to discuss setting up reporting; what reports should ship with CollectionSpace
  • Antranig identified the need for an application-wide policy on localization. He took a step towards that in the UI by creating a global message bundle.
  • JIRA 3151 is only an issue on nightly; not an issue for our implementers.
Resource Allocation

Person

Allocation
to CSpace

Design Sprint

Dev Sprint Week 1
(Thanksgiving week)

Dev Sprint Week 2

Dev Sprint Week 3

Patrick

50%

Reporting/ Media Handling

Reporting

Reporting

Reporting

Richard

50%

Media Handling

Media Handling

Media Handling

Media Handling

Aron

60%

Repeatability/Object Exit

Repeatability/Object Exit

Repeatability/Object Exit

Repeatability/Object Exit

Laramie

100%

Object Exit

Object Exit

Object Exit

Object Exit

Rick

50%

Repeatability/Object Exit

Repeatability/Object Exit

Repeatability/Object Exit

Repeatability/Object Exit

Chris

100%

UI Boot Camp

R&P UI JIRAs

R&P UI JIRAs

R&P UI JIRAs

Dan

10%

Learning Services Layer/Cleaning up App Layer

Learning Services Layer/Cleaning up App Layer

 

 

Michelle

50%

Reporting/ Media Handling

Reviewing Patches

Reviewing Patches

Reviewing Patches

Yura

100%

UI Boot Camp/R&P

Reviewing Patches/R&P

Reviewing Patches/R&P

Reviewing Patches/R&P

Erin

100%

Reporting/ Media Handling

 

 

 

Megan

50%

Reporting/ Media Handling

Schema review/Future functionality work (depends on what is up next)

Schema review/Future functionality work (depends on what is up next)

 

Kasper

100%

UI Boot Camp

R&P UI JIRAs

R&P UI JIRAs

R&P UI JIRAs

Jesse

66%

UI Boot Camp

R&P UI JIRAs

R&P UI JIRAs

R&P UI JIRAs

Antranig

not set

40% R&P

80% Reviewing Patches/R&P

70% R&P

20% - 30%

Work Completed in this Sprint

Media Handling in Services - This documentation provides a detailed explanation of the RESTful APIs built in 1.2.

Reporting - integration was built between CollectionSpace and Jasper Reports, which is a reporting engine. Jasper Reports is included in the CollectionSpace download. There are two ways to write a report:
1) write the XML files that Jasper Reports will read and produce the CollectionSpace output you want in the format you want. The instructions are found under Documentation at the bottom of the page in the Tutorial Section and in this article.
2.) download Jasper iReport which has a nice UI for designing reports. iReport is open source, free, and runs on your computer and works directly with Jasper Reports on the CollectionSpace server.  Here is additional information using Jasper iReport with CollectionSpace.

Object Exit - Object Exit Schema and Object Exit Service RESTful APIs (TDA)

New Fields - New fields in the Object History and Association section of the Cataloging / CollectionObject record, which consist of a subset of the fields shown in blue in the attached spreadsheet, have been included in 1.2:

  • Associated Activity Type
  • Associated Concept Type
  • Associated Cultural Affinity Type
  • Associated Date Type
  • Associated Object Note
  • Associated Organization Type
  • Associated People Type
  • Associated Person Type
  • Associated Place Type

Repeating Groups of Fields - 22 groups of fields were made repeatable in Cataloging (CollectionObject) records, per CSPACE-2927. See (Release 1.2 Repeatability Changes).

Roles and Permissions - Enforcement of Roles and Permissions is active in 1.2.