Managing and documenting the borrowing of objects for which the organization is responsible for a specific period of time and for a specified purpose, normally exhibition/display, but including research, conservation, education or photography/publication.
- Establish the purpose of the loan;
- Enable at least the same care of the borrowed object as if it were part of the permanent collections;
- Include written agreements signed by both borrower and lender before the loan commences, as appropriate to the collection;
- Ensure that the terms and conditions of loan are adhered to;
- Ensure that all loans are for fixed periods;
- Ensure a written record of the loan is retained;
- Enable effective control of the loan process;
- Enable the provision of information about the borrower and the loan as requested by the lender;
- Provide insurance or indemnity cover for the loan period;
- Ensure that up-to-date information about the location of borrowed objects is maintained;
- Ensure that up-to-date information about the security of borrowed objects is maintained;
- Ensure that up-to-date information about the physical well-being of borrowed objects is maintained, including the environment and condition of the objects.