Documenting and managing the addition of objects and associated information to the collections of the organization and their possible accession to the permanent collections.
- Ensure that written evidence is obtained of the original title to an object and the transfer of the title to the acquiring organization;
- Enable the reconciling of acquisition records with objects as part of retrospective
documentation, audit and inventory activity;
- Ensure that a unique number is assigned to, and physically associated with, all objects;
- Ensure that accession registers are maintained, describing all acquisitions and listing them by number;
- Ensure that information about the acquisition process is retained;
- Ensure that donors are made aware of the terms on which their gift or bequest is accepted by the organization;
- Ensure that collecting complies with the organization's collecting policy, and does not
contravene any local, national or international law, treaty or recognized code of practice;
- Ensure a copy of the information in the accession register is made and kept up to date.
Standards, Guidelines + Use Cases
Visualization from the CIDOC CRM: